Skip navigation

FishingMobile

Donated rods, reels will help Scouts land fishing experience

Pete Duchrow shows Boy Scout Jason Taylor all the donated fishing reels at the Bass Pro Shops rods and reels giveaway on Thursday. (Photo: Bruce E Stidham/For the News-Leader)

Pete Duchrow shows Boy Scout Jason Taylor all the donated fishing reels at the Bass Pro Shops rods and reels giveaway on Thursday. (Photo: Bruce E Stidham/For the News-Leader)

Jackson Baskins, 11, eyed the boatload of fishing poles and reels, and his eyes lit up when he spotted what he was looking for.

Among the spinning reels, baitcasters and push-button Zebcos, he pulled out a small fly reel that clearly had been used at many fishing holes.

"I'm a beginner fly fisherman, and whatever I catch is a big deal," said the plucky youngster. "I want to catch a rainbow trout 'cause I'd like to eat it!"

Jackson, a Star and Order of the Arrow Scout with the Ozark Trails Council, will soon get a chance to try out some gently used fishing gear, thanks to the donation of 300 rods and reels to the local Boy Scout organization by Bass Pro Shops. The company is donating 32,000 rods and reels to Scouts nationwide as part of the company's effort to get kids outdoors.

Jackson and his dad, Jeff, are both novice anglers but have learned a lot through Bass Pro Shops fishing programs, like last year's Outdoors Days on Table Rock Lake, and Scouting outings.

"I think this gear donation is a terrific idea," Jeff Baskins said. "Anything to get boys outdoors to enjoy it is a positive thing. I'm a newbie fisherman. I didn't grow up with Scouting, so it's exciting for my son and I to grow together and learn how to fish. We live in a busy, loud environment, and fishing gives you an opportunity to unplug."

Most of the 300 donated rods and reels will be used to revive the Scouts' fishing program at Camp Arrowhead's Lake Osage near Marshfield, said Michael Widman, district director of Boy Scouts of America Ozark Trails Council based in Springfield.

"We do offer fishing merit badges where Scouts learn to catch, clean and cook fish," Widman said. "It also will be a service project at the camp to get these donated poles and reels ready to use. Our lake is stocked with perch, catfish, bass, bluegill and crappie. Fishing is all about learning patience and never quitting and developing confidence."

The Ozark Trails Council serves 8,100 Scouts in a 32-county area.

In August, Widman said Ozark Trails Council will partner again with Bass Pro Shops on a "Hooked on Scouting" membership drive, where each youngster who signs on to become a Scout will get a free fishing pole from Bass Pro Shops.

Bass Pro operations manager Pete Duchrow said the 32,000 rods and reels donated to Scouting groups across the country came from a trade-in program offered by Bass Pro, where anglers could turn in their older gear and get a coupon to buy something new.

"This is a nice way to get rods and reels to children who otherwise might not get that opportunity," Duchrow said.

Bass Pro Shops is reaching out to more than just Scouts. The company will launch a free "Gone Fishing" program at 78 of its stores, including the Springfield store, where youngsters can try to catch real fish, often for the first time.

“Kids today spend half as much time outside as they did just two decades ago, despite countless studies touting the physical and mental benefits of getting children outdoors,” said Stan Lippelman, vice president of marketing for Bass Pro Shops.

“In our digital era, it has never been more important to remind everyone that fishing is an easy, fun way to get outside while spending quality time with family and friends. Our goal is to inspire millions of people to take someone fishing, especially urban youth and kids who have never fished before.”

"Gone Fishing"

“Gone Fishing” will happen this Saturday and Sunday from noon-4 p.m., and the following weekend at the same times.

Activities at the stores include:

•    Free catch-and-release ponds – Kids are invited to catch a fish and receive a free “First Fish” certificate to commemorate the experience. Kids can also get a free downloadable photo with their fish to create a lasting memory. 
•    Free introductory fishing guide – Families can take a home an informative guide outlining fishing basics including starter gear and the best local fishing spots. Available while supplies last.
•    Free fishing seminars – Local experts will share tips and advice on the best locations and gear to get started, as well as how to make fishing a fun experience for everyone. For full times and details visit www.basspro.com/gonefishing
•    Free “Gone Fishing” door hanger – The first 100 visitors per day to each location will receive a sign to hang on their door to communicate their whereabouts to family members, teachers or bosses. 
•    Video game trade-in program – Trade in a video game and save $5 off a new youth starter rod and reel combo $19.99 or more. Limit one per person. Games will be donated to AMVETS, an American Veterans service organization.

Back to the top
There are too many online users to list.
Control functions:

Contract Quick reply