Skip navigation

FishingMobile

Pro angler Delvisco gives fishing tips at charity event

KNOXVILLE,Tenn.--(WVLT) Professional bass angler Mike Delvisco was casting out advice and tips at the Texas Roadhouse in Turkey Creek Tuesday evening.

"Not sticking with things long enough (when not catching fish)," Delvisco says is a common mistake the weekend fisherman makes.

"And when they catch some fish, not sticking with that area long enough, too," Delvisco added. "You'll be surprised how many fish live in a certain area."

Delvisco also says to "maximize" your efforts in one particular area as opposed to running all over the lake trying to duplicate what you're doing.

The 30-year pro was at the popular restaurant chain as part of a charity fundraiser for the upcoming 3rd Annual Roane County Bass Tournament, which benefits St. Jude's Children's Hospital.

"I fished it last year. It was tons of fun. We had around a 100 boats fish it and I hope we get more this year. Fishing was awesome there last year."

The fishing tournament is Saturday, May 21 at Kingston City Park.

"I've been fortunate enough to do this for a living for 30 years and not have a job other than fishing, so when I have an opportunity to come and try and give something back for a cause like this, I'm all over it," Delvisco said.

Delvisco makes his home in Dandridge, so he's familiar with the lakes of East Tennessee. He says this time of year is one of his favorite times of year to fish because of the diversity in which you can fish with.

"There's a lot of ways to catch fish (right now). I caught 5 or six fish today. I caught them on six different baits. They are biting some top water baits, they're biting some plastic worms, they're biting some crank baits and jigs and things like that. Pretty much how ever you like to catch fish right now, you can catch them. You can catch them shallow, deep, or in the middle, because fish are doing a lot of different things right now."

Delvisco says the biggest misnomer about being a pro is that it doesn't always look as easy as it sometimes appears.

"They watch us on TV and it seems like we're catching a fish every time we throw something in the lake, that's really not the case. They don't see the hours that we spend trying to actually figure out how to catch a few fish. It's really that mystery--how am I going to catch them today... and then the satisfaction that you get once you figure it out. Once you figure it all out, that's the great part about fishing."

For more information, including how to register for the 3rd Annual Roane County Bass Tournament to benefit St. Jude's, you can call Travis Lemons at 865-776-6387.

Back to the top
Quote post (#554)Report post (#554)
There are too many online users to list.
Control functions:

Contract Quick reply