Skip navigation

FishingMobile

hits while striking out four over eight innings

Add topic

Detroit, MI (Sports Network) - Miguel Cabrera hit his 40th homer of the season and knocked in three runs, Max Scherzer became the first 18-game winner in the majors and the Detroit Tigers beat the Kansas City Royals, 6-3, on Sunday at Comerica Park. Scherzer (18-1) allowed two runs on five hits while striking out four over eight innings for the AL Central-leading Tigers, who won three contests in this five-game series. The 29-year-old right-hander became the fifth pitcher since 1912 to win at least 18 of his first 19 decisions, according to STATS. Torii Hunter, Brayan Pena and Ramon Santiago each drove in a run for Detroit, which had 12 hits. Kansas City starter Bruce Chen (5-1) gave up six runs on eight hits over 5 1/3 innings. Billy Butler hit a solo homer and Salvador Perez and Emilio Bonifacio each had an RBI. After hitting a walk-off homer Saturday night, Cabrera socked a two-run shot on the first pitch he saw Sunday. Austin Jackson, who led off with a single, scored on Cabreras blast over the wall in left. Detroit tacked on another run in the third. With two outs, Hunter hit a ground-rule double to right and raced home on Cabreras single to left-center field. The Tigers gave Scherzer some more run support in the fifth. Jose Iglesias and Austin Jackson hit back-to-back doubles to put men on second and third. Hunters sacrifice fly to right made it a 4-0 contest. Scherzer allowed just one hit through five innings. The Royals finally moved a runner past first in the sixth when Jarrod Dyson singled, stole second and advanced to third on David Loughs groundout. Scherzer, though, got Eric Hosmer looking at strike three. Detroit scored two more runs in the bottom half. Andy Dirks singled and crossed the plate on Penas double to center. Louis Coleman then took over for Chen and Santiago greeted him with an RBI single to right. Kansas City got both of those runs back in the seventh. Butler singled, moved to third on Alex Gordons double and scored on Perezs groundout. Bonifacio followed with an RBI double to left-center field. Butler homered off Joaquin Benoit in the ninth to account for the final margin. Game Notes It was the 11th time in Tigers history that a player has hit 40-or-more home runs in a season. Cabrera became just the third player in franchise history to hit 40-or-more homers in back-to-back seasons. Trevor Ariza Jersey . He was signed to help with depth to the receiving corps because of the loss of Shamawd Chambers to the 6-game injured list. Otto Porter Jersey . Im very excited about the playoffs, particularly in the Western Conference with amazing match-ups, as well as the wonderful local story in the Toronto Raptors. It should be a blast. Here are my predictions, but based upon my lousy prognostications during the NCAA Tournament, you might be better off going the other way on some of mine - particularly with the Raptors, who I hope and pray are able to win an incredibly difficult match-up. http://www.cheapwizardsjerseyssale.com/kids-john-wall-wizards-jersey/ . – A lawyer for the fiancee of former New England Patriots player Aaron Hernandez asked a judge Friday to throw out perjury charges, saying Shayanna Jenkins did not wilfully lie as she was bombarded with 1,630 questions over two days before a grand jury. Wes Unseld Jersey . They showered him with "MVP! MVP!" chants. In many ways, it seemed like hed never been gone. Ramon Sessions Jersey . I kept my eyes focused up on the camera during each approach. I just tried to stay focused on my form, as I didnt know what the ball reaction was. I was quite emotional at the end. I did not actually see any of the shots in the game until I got home and watched the video. SEATTLE – Lloyd McClendon is always looking for a little pop to come from his designated hitter when he sets up the Seattle Mariners lineup. Yes, even when Endy Chavez is the DH. "How about Endy?" McClendon said. "That was a pretty good swing." Chavez homered for the first time in more than a year and Seattles bullpen was again stellar behind starter Chris Young in the Mariners 3-2 win over the Cleveland Indians on Friday night. Chavez singled and scored in the first inning, then ended the night for Cleveland starter Trevor Bauer with a solo home run into the right-field seats with one out in the seventh. It was Chavezs first homer since May 30, 2013, at San Diego, a span of 265 plate appearances. "It feels great, especially in a tight game," Chavez said. "Im glad to hit a home run in that situation and put us in a better situation to win the game." Kyle Seager had two hits, including an RBI single, to continue his hot hitting at home. Brad Miller also added an RBI single as Seattle won for the sixth time in seven games. Seager is hitting .613 in his past eight home games, but McClendon continues to be unsatisfied and expecting more from his third baseman. "Hes getting better," McClendon said with a smirk. Fernando Rodney worked the ninth for his 22nd save although it was bumpy. Nick Swisher singled and scored on Michael Bourns two-out single, but Rodney got Asdrubal Cabrera to pop up for the final out. Rodney was the last of five Seattle relievers that allowed three hits and struck out four after Young was lifted. Young (7-4) was done after five innings despite giving up just four hits and one run. The Indians made him work deep into counts and his pitch count was at 91 after five innings. "They made me work and I wasnt as sharp as I wanted to be and I was probably a little lucky tonight. They hit some balls hard right at guys," Young said. "The bullpen came in and did a phenomenal job. Those guys pickked me up.dddddddddddd" Joe Beimel tossed a perfect sixth and Danny Farquhar was solid in the seventh, although the Indians missed a chance to keep the inning alive because of a poor baserunning decision. With two outs, first baseman Logan Morrison booted Bourns grounder with Swisher on first. Swisher never stopped at second, but Morrison recovered and threw him out at third. Cleveland threatened again in the eighth on a two-out walk by Carlos Santana and a double from Jason Kipnis. Charlie Furbush got Lonnie Chisenhall to ground out, ending the inning. "The bullpen has been outstanding. Theyve been unbelievable. You just have complete confidence in all of them," Young said. "Tonight is a perfect example why. They came in, got 12 big outs and we won." Chavez led off the first with an infield single and stole second base with two outs. Seager then dumped a single into centre and Chavez was able to score standing up. The Mariners scored in almost the same way in the fourth. Michael Saunders singled with two outs and advanced to second on a wild pitch before Miller looped a base hit to centre for a 2-1 lead. Chavez provided some cushion with the 29th homer of his career. It was the third straight start in which Bauer (2-4) pitched into the seventh, but he has not finished that inning this season. He threw 111 pitches, below his season high of 119, and gave up nine hits while striking out five. "Early he fought his command a little bit, he didnt work ahead very often," Cleveland manager Terry Francona said. "But as he got into the game, I thought he got much better." NOTES: Seattles bullpen has allowed two earned runs in the past 24 innings. … Cleveland plans to start LHP T.J. House in Sundays series finale. House still must be recalled from the minors. … The Indians hope RHP Justin Masterson, scratched from Sundays start with a sore knee, will be able to go Tuesday in Los Angeles against the Dodgers. ' ' '
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 member have just viewed this.
Control functions:

Contract Quick reply