Skip navigation

FishingMobile

Jon Lester both made their big league

Add topic

ANAHEIM, Calif. - Jered Weaver and Jon Lester both made their big league debuts in 2006. Both have pitched a no-hitter, both are three-time All-Stars. One glaring difference: Lester has two World Series rings, Weaver has none. Friday night marked the first time they have started against each other in the majors, and Weaver outpitched Lester to lead the Los Angeles Angels over Oakland 4-0 and extend their AL West lead over the As to three games. "Hopefully, Ill have one of those rings on my finger one of these days," said Weaver, now 8-1 over his last 14 starts. "Thats the only thing I play for. I dont play for anything else than winning. My main goal is to win a World Series. Thats what everybody should play the game for. Tonight I was just trying to match Lester inning by inning." A night after the Angels edged the Athletics 4-3 in 10 innings, they won with pitching and power. Albert Pujols hit his 516th career homer and Chris Iannetta hit a two-run shot despite a valiant effort by centre fielder Coco Crisp for a 2-0 lead in the fifth. That was enough for Weaver and the bullpen. Weaver (15-7) threw three-hit ball for seven innings, striking out three and walking three. He escaped a bases-loaded jam in the sixth by retiring Josh Reddick on a flyball. Lester (13-9) gave up two earned runs in six innings. He is 0-2 in his last three starts after going 7-0 with a 1.46 ERA over his previous 11 outings for Boston and Oakland. Erick Aybar led off the fifth with a single that extended his hitting streak to 14 games. Iannetta followed with a towering drive to left-centre that kept carrying before Crisp caught up to it and got a glove on the ball with a desperate leap. But the ball popped out of his mitt and wound up on the other side of the 8-foot fence. "I was just trying to time it," Crisp said. "Running back, I knew I could catch it. I caught it, but as soon as I hit the wall, with the momentum of the yank, the ball just kind of slung out of there." Crisp strained his neck on the play and was replaced by Craig Gentry. "It was an unbelievable effort. He came out of nowhere to get to it," manager Bob Melvin said. "Weve seen him hit the wall hard several times before — no more so than that." "I was worried about his head, too, the way he hit the wall, and we thought it was a concussion because he was a little shook up. But his neck is the issue again. Weve had to deal with that before, and we have to again," he said. Iannetta got another RBI in the sixth when Lester walked him on a full count with the bases loaded. The run was unearned, the result of consecutive two-out errors by third baseman Josh Donaldson and shortstop Eric Sogard. Oaklands only hit over the first five innings was a two-out double in the fourth by Donaldson that crossed over the bag before bouncing into foul territory. Stephen Vogt followed with a drive that All-Star centre fielder Mike Trout gloved on the dead run just as he reached the fence in left-centre. Weaver was bailed out by his defence again in the fifth, when left fielder Josh Hamilton caught Alberto Callaspos flyball for the second out while diving across the foul line with two men on. TRAINERS ROOM Athletics: SS Jed Lowrie, who hasnt played since Aug. 13 because of a broken right index finger, will begin a two-game rehab assignment with Triple-A Sacramento on Saturday. If all goes well, hell be reinstated from the disabled list on Monday. Angels: RHP Garrett Richards showed up for the team photo in crutches, nine days after his season-ending injury. He tore the patellar tendon in his left knee on Aug. 20 at Boston, and the recovery time is six to nine 9 months. UP NEXT Athletics: Jeff Samardzija (4-3, 3.86 ERA) looks to win back-to-back starts for the first time since last August with the Chicago Cubs. The only time he ever faced the Angels in the regular season was July 10, 2013, when he surrendered nine runs in 4 2-3 innings and four home runs — two by Hamilton — in a 13-2 loss at Wrigley Field. Angels: Manager Mike Scioscia didnt announce before the game who would start Saturday. It would have been Richards second turn through the rotation. They tried Wade LeBlanc last Monday, but he gave up six runs over 3 1-3 innings in a 7-1 loss to Miami and was designated for assignment the following day. Sebastian Janikowski Jersey . Sixteen teams have moved on. Sixteen teams have gone home. Rashaad Penny Jersey . Its Wu-Tang and Outkast in the final. Now, we all know youve played the role of Andre 3000 in the past, does that mean Outkast is getting your vote?AJ: You know it, you know it. Official Seattle Seahawks Authentic Shop - Seahawks Womens Youth Mens Jerseys) - The 2014 Holiday Bowl is the first postseason venture pitting a pair of ranked foes against each other, as No. Rashaad Penny Seahawks Jersey . Hernandez (3-0) struck out 11 and shut down Oakland for the second time in a week, becoming the first Mariners pitcher to win three times in the first nine games of a season. With the usual "Kings Court" for Hernandez home starts expanded to a "Supreme Court" encompassing the entire stadium with yellow shirts and "K" cards, Hernandez gave up four hits in the 28th double-digit strikeout game of his career. Custom Seattle Seahawks Jerseys . Roma has a game in hand but now second place is even at risk for the capital side as Napoli moved to within three points with the win. "The result is not always fair," Roma coach Rudi Garcia said. "If we play like this until the end we will win many matches.VIENNA - The 213th-ranked Jaroslav Pospisil of Czech Republic stunned sixth-seeded Gael Monfils of France 7-6 (0), 7-5 to win his first match on ATP level at the Erste Bank Open on Wednesday, while seeded Czech players Radek Stepanek and Lukas Rosol advanced to the quarterfinals. The 32-year-old Pospisil, who usually competes on the lower-ranked Challenger circuit, lost in the final qualifying round Monday but replaced Marinko Matosevic after the Australian withdrew with a shoulder injury. "This is an amazing feeling," said Pospisil, who had lost his previous six main-draw matches. "For sure Monfils wasnt at his best today," said Pospisil, who will play Dominic Thiem of Austria in the second round. "He arrived late from his Asia trip and I have been training here since Friday. That was a huge advantage for me." In the opening set, Monfils held off four break chances while serving at 5-4 down but failed to score a point in the tiebreaker. The 31st-ranked Frenchman, a former world No. 7, battled back from a break down to level at 4-4 in the second set but dropped his serve again at 5-5. Pospisil served out the match without conceding a point. Earlieer, fifth-seeded Stepanek outlasted Lukas Lacko of Slovakia 7-6 (4), 5-7, 7-6 (5) to reach his second quarterfinal of the season after losing in the last eight at Eastbourne in June.dddddddddddd "Its all about practice and preparation. This is the result," Stepanek said after the match lasted for more than 2 1/2 hours. "It was very close." Stepanek saved two set points while serving at 5-4 down in the opening set. After levelling the match, Lacko received treatment for a right thigh injury. Stepanek missed his first match point at 5-4 in the final set before closing out the victory with his 15th ace. "In the second set, he got physical troubles but I didnt know how to handle the situation," said Stepanek with a hoarse voice. "You can hear that I am not 100 per cent healthy either." Eighth-seeded Rosol served 10 aces while beating Mirza Basic of Bosnia-Hercegovina 6-3, 7-5 to reach his third quarterfinal of the year. In first-round play, Lukasz Kubot of Poland defeated Florian Mayer of Germany 7-6 (1), 6-4. The 74th-ranked Kubot, who came back from 3-0 down in the second set, next plays third-seeded Fabio Fognini of Italy. Cheap Jerseys China NFL Jerseys China NFL Jerseys Wholesale Discount Basketball Jerseys Cheap NHL Jerseys Authentic Cheap Baseball Jerseys Free Shipping Cheapest College Jerseys Sale Cheap Football Jerseys China Nike NFL Jerseys Canada Wholesale NHL Jerseys From China MLB Jerseys Outlet Canada Wholesale NBA Jerseys Canada Store Cheap Soccer Jerseys China Cheap Authentic Jerseys Canada ' ' '
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 member have just viewed this.
Control functions:

Contract Quick reply