Skip navigation

FishingMobile

New Jersey on Sunday night

Add topic

New Jersey on Sunday night

OTTAWA - FIFA secretary-general Jerome Valcke has rubbished a legal challenge over the use of artificial surfaces at next years Womens World Cup in Canada, saying anyone who says playing on turf is discriminatory is talking nonsense.The French executive took square aim at the rebel faction of players and their lawyers, who have been banging the drum for months over having to play their showcase tournament on artificial turf.The world governing body of soccer, which admittedly has had other fires to fight recently, had largely limited its turf response to articles on its website, including an Oct. 29 interview with a diplomatic Valcke. But on Friday, the secretary-general came out swinging.If anyone is saying that the use of the artificial pitch is a question of discrimination, its nonsense. Its completely crazy to say that, Valcke told a news conference on the eve of Saturdays tournament draw.It has nothing to do with discrimination. I cant imagine that no one would recognize what FIFA has done for the development of womens football over the last 15 years. We have asked all of our members associations to invest in womens football … We have created new competitions and we are working on a potential new competition at the club level (a womens Club World Cup).We are every day trying to develop womens football around the world.A group of elite female players has filed a legal challenge with the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario, saying making women play on artificial turf is discriminatory because men play their showcase tournament on natural grass.The issue has dominated headlines, taking away some of the shine of a 52-game tournament that organizers ambitiously hope will draw 1.5 million spectators from June 6 to July 5.Hampton Dellinger, lead lawyer for the women challenging the turf, responded to Valckes comments by saying that the legal team that prepared the human rights complaint was completely lucid.The facts we put in our legal complaint make out a very compelling case of sex discrimination, he said in an interview from the U.S.Victor Montagliani, president of the Canadian Soccer Association and the tournament organizing committee, said the focus on the pitch has been mildly annoying.If I said I wasnt a little bit (frustrated), sure Id probably be lying, he said. But my frustrations not very high. Because to be honest with you, the conduct (of those challenging the turf) has been nothing short of what I call a little bit ridiculous. I can respect peoples opinions, I respect peoples comments. But also being a Canadian, I respect the process. And so they chose a (legal) arena to go into. And its still in that arena and I have to respect that. But they need to respect that as well. Captain Christine Sinclair, the lone player expected at the draw, and her fellow Canadian players have stayed clear of the turf brouhaha.I understand what theyre standing up for, she said of the players behind the legal challenge. Its not really an issue for me. Im preparing to play in a World Cup and thats what my focus is on. Ill let other players and other teams worry about issues outside the actual games.Valcke had promised an open dialogue at the draw. But, despite the fact only Sinclair is expected Saturday, he rejected an offer to speak to the rebel players via conference call.Asked about that, Valcke said he would talk with players in person but not on the phone — and he would not talk to lawyers.I am ready to discuss with all the players, with all the technical teams, with all the coaches. But face to face. And thats what Im ready to do .. Im ready to travel to wherever I have to travel to do that.Dellinger welcomed those words, saying they mark a step forward in making the Womens World Cup truly world-class.But the truth ultimately will be on the pitch, he added, referring to the type of playing surface.Four of the first five questions at the news conference were on the turf issues. But the following five touched other topics.Valcke confirmed that goal-line technology will be used at the womens tournament in Canada. And the prize money will be raised by US$5 million to $15 million, with the winner earning $2 million.Those were two issues raised by the lawyers for the rebel players, eager to point the finger at other differences between the mens and womens world championships.Germany, as winner of the mens World Cup this summer, earned $35 million. Total prize money for the mens event was $476 million.Valcke noted that the mens tournament, which made $4.5 billion this summer, finances all of FIFAs 20 world tournaments. And that the womens event was a relative new one — starting in 1991 — compared to the mens championship, which began in 1930.In a statement that may set the Canadians mens team on edge, Valcke congratulated Canada as perhaps the only one of FIFAs 209 member associations that is spending more money on womens soccer than men.The CSA would, no doubt, respond that its budget for the men and women shifts depending on what tournaments are nearest on the landscape.Still, the Canadian men are currently ranked 122nd in the world and have only ever been to one World Cup, in 1986. This marks the Canadian womens sixth trip to the World Cup in seven attempts.Saturdays draw at the Canadian Museum of History in Gatineau, Que., comes six months before the tournament kickoff. It will slot the 24 teams into six groups headed by host Canada (ranked eighth in the world by FIFA) and seeds Brazil (No. 6), France (No. 4), Germany (No. 2), Japan (No. 3) and the United States (No. 1).Canada will be in Pool A, playing its first two round-robin games in Edmonton and the third in Montreal. The rest will be determined at the draw.More draw details were released Friday, giving Canadas John Herdman and the other 23 coaches expected to attend Saturdays gala a sense of what to expect.There are four pots, with six teams in each.A worst-case scenario could see Canada drawn with Sweden (No. 5) or England (No. 7), Asian runner-up Australia (No. 10) and African champion Nigeria (seen as far better than its No. 35 ranking would suggest).A more friendly landscape would see Canada with Switzerland (No. 18), Thailand (No. 30) and Ivory Coast (No. 64).Herdman suggested the group of death starts with the European teams awaiting in Pot 4No easy games. But there are some harder ones. Hopefully we avoid them, said Herdman with a laugh.—Follow @NeilMDavidson on Twitter Tramaine Brock Broncos Jersey . Thaddeus Young scored seven of his 25 points in the fourth quarter, Evan Turner added 22 points, and the 76ers hung on for their first road win since Nov. 1, beating the depleted Los Angeles Lakers 111-104 on Sunday night. Tramaine Brock Jersey . With the Canadiens leading by one to start the third period, Price turned away 16 shots by the Panthers in the final frame to give Montreal a 2-1 victory over Florida on Monday night. The Panthers (16-21-6) outshot Montreal 16-10 in the final frame, but were repeatedly frustrated by Price, who made 26 saves on the night. http://www.authenticshopbroncos.com/broncos-josey-jewell-navy-blue-jersey/ .  City has reached new heights under manager Manuel Pellegrini as they transition from big spending/immediate impact to perennial contender.  Yaya Toures seeming discontent Tuesday may complicate that, as does the little issue of Financial Fair Play. Isaac Yiadom Jersey .The Williams siblings, with 25 Grand Slam titles between them, will have a couple of Madisons joining them, too.Madison Keys had a 6-4, 7-5 upset win over two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova on Saturday night, and Madison Brengle beat Coco Vandeweghe 6-3, 6-2 in an all-U. DaeSean Hamilton Broncos Jersey . Five straight losses (and six in the past seven) now dot the schedule – matching their longest skid of the year – after they fell again in New Jersey on Sunday night, topped 3-2 by Cory Schneider and the Devils.SAN DIEGO - Kyle Lohse pitched six strong innings while Ryan Braun and Aramis Ramirez hit home runs to lift the Milwaukee Brewers to a 10-1 win over the San Diego Padres on Monday night. Lohse (12-7) allowed a run and four hits over six innings in making his first start since spraining his right ankle on Aug. 13. He beat the Padres for the fourth straight time. Eric Stults (6-14) was charged with four runs and nine hits in five innings as he lost his first game in August to snap his three-game winning streak. Ramriez and Gerardo Parra had three RBIs; Braun, Ramirez and Carlos Gomez each had three hits. Lohse skipped his last turn in the rotation after getting hurt against the Cubs. But he was efficient in striking out five as the Brewers stayed 1 1/2 games ahead of the St. Louis Cardinals in the NL Central. Ramirezs 14th home run came in the fifth inning off an 87 mph Stults fastball that extended Milwaukees edge to 4-1. The Brewers broke the game open with a three-run sixth en route to their fifth straight road win. Brauns 17th home run in the third inning gave the Brewers a 2-1 lead, when he hit it into the left-centre seats. Martin Maldonado added a run-scoring single for a 3-1 advantage. The Padres tied the game 1-1 in the second but the Brewers got off easy. Alexi Amarista sliced a ttriple down the left-field line to score Cameron Maybin after he singled.dddddddddddd But Amarista was retired when Stults squeeze bunt failed as Lohses toss to Maldonado beat Amarista. Will Venable then struck out to end the inning, stranding two runners. The Padres lost eight of their last 11 games. TRAINERS ROOM Padres: OF Carlos Quentin isnt going to play again the season, according to manager Bud Black. Quentin was limited to 50 games because of sore knees, with his most recent DL stint starting on July 27. … 2B Jedd Gyorko, who strained his left hamstring on Thursday, returned to action by grounding out as a pinch-hitter. … SS Everth Cabrera (strained left hamstring) has resumed baseball activities but is probably out another week. Brewers: RHP Matt Garza, on the disabled list with a strained left oblique, will have another bullpen session on Tuesday. If it goes well, he could rejoin the rotation. UP NEXT Brewers: RHP Jimmy Nelson (2-4, 4.15 ERA), who absorbed the loss in his last start against the Blue Jays on Wednesday, will be looking to rebound against the Padres. Padres: RHP Tyson Ross (11-12, 2.68) has worked at least six innings in 21 of his last 25 starts, including seven or more in 13 of those outings. His 12 straight quality starts is a franchise record. Cheap Jerseys China NFL Jerseys China NFL Jerseys Wholesale Discount Basketball Jerseys Cheap NHL Jerseys Authentic Cheap Baseball Jerseys Free Shipping Cheapest College Jerseys Sale Cheap Football Jerseys China Nike NFL Jerseys Canada Wholesale NHL Jerseys From China MLB Jerseys Outlet Canada Wholesale NBA Jerseys Canada Store Cheap Soccer Jerseys China Cheap Authentic Jerseys Canada ' ' '
Back to the top
There are too many online users to list.
Control functions:

Contract Quick reply