Skip navigation

FishingMobile

soft hands and

Add topic

soft hands and

NEW YORK – Desperately trying to gain ground in the playoff hunt, the New York Yankees have no time to mess around. That means an early call to Mariano Rivera now and again. Struggling ace CC Sabathia pitched effectively into the eighth inning before Rivera earned his first four-out save in more than two years, helping New York hold off the Chicago White Sox 6-5 on Wednesday night for a three-game sweep. "There are some situations that I have to do it. Tonight was one of those nights," Rivera said. "We had a lead and had to hold it. We need to do whatever it takes. Two outs, three outs, four outs – whatever it takes." Robinson Cano homered for the Yankees, looking to chase down a playoff berth with their late-season charge. Brett Gardner hit a two-run triple and Lyle Overbay an RBI double in a four-run fourth against Erik Johnson (0-1), who was making his major league debut. New York, which entered 2 1/2 games behind Tampa Bay for the second AL wild card, has won 15 of 18 home games and 17 of 24 overall. Swept in three games at Chicago from Aug. 5-7, the Yankees returned the favour a month later. Next up for New York, an 11-game gauntlet against division rivals Boston and Baltimore – beginning Thursday night with a four-game set against the first-place Red Sox. After winning 10 of 12, the last-place White Sox have lost six straight to start a 10-game trip against AL East contenders. Cano finished with three hits and two RBIs. With the Yankees leading 6-1 and seemingly in control, Sabathia (13-11) walked off to a warm ovation with two on and one out in the eighth. But normally reliable setup man David Robertson gave up an RBI single to Avisail Garcia, a two-run single to Josh Phegley with two outs and an RBI single to rookie Marcus Semien that cut the cushion to one. Well aware of his teams precarious position in the pennant race, manager Joe Girardi quickly went to Rivera, who threw a called third strike past Alejandro De Aza to end the inning. Rivera then got three quick outs in the ninth for his second save in two nights and 41st this season in 46 tries. It was his first save of more than three outs since July 24, 2011, against Oakland. "I feel hes capable of doing it," Girardi said. "I brought Robertson in for four outs the other night, as well. As much as I can do it, and theyre able, I will do it." Baseballs career saves leader with 649, Rivera missed most of last season with a knee injury. The only other time in 55 appearances this season the 43-year-old closer pitched more than one inning was when he blew a save Aug. 7 against the White Sox and wound up getting six outs. "We brought in guys who have done the job all year and eventually, we got the job done," Girardi said. Sabathia had his best outing in a month and improved to 19-4 in 33 career starts against the White Sox, the lowest-scoring team in the American League this year. The 23-year-old Johnson allowed five runs – three earned – and seven hits over six innings. A second-round draft pick two years ago, he went 12-3 with a 1.96 ERA in 24 starts combined at Triple-A Charlotte and Double-A Birmingham this season. "It was a great feeling to be out there," said Johnson, who acknowledged being nervous early. "I think I could have just filled up the strike zone a bit better, worked ahead, especially with all my pitches. That was the main thing." Combined with Semien and reliever Daniel Webb, they made the White Sox the first team this season to have three players make their major league debuts in the same game. "Thats the position that were in," said manager Robin Ventura, happy with the efforts of all three. "Its a positive step." Cano hit Johnsons 12th pitch to right field for his 203rd career home run, moving ahead of Hall of Famer Bill Dickey for 15th place on the franchise list. Alex Rodriguez singled to start the fourth, and Johnson hurt himself with a bad throw. He shattered Ichiro Suzukis bat on a slow roller, then babied his soft throw to first base. Jeff Keppinger failed to scoop it, and Suzuki was safe on Johnsons error. "It was just a tough bang-bang play and I just rushed it," Johnson said. "That kind of opened up the rally." Overbay hit an RBI double and Gardner tripled to deep left-centre before scoring on Canos two-out infield single, a comebacker that deflected off Johnsons glove. Alfonso Soriano added a sacrifice fly in the seventh. NOTES: The game began with only three umpires while Bruce Dreckman was treated by Yankees medical staff for a finger injury he sustained away from the ballpark. Dreckman came onto the field for the bottom of the first inning, umpiring at third base. He originally was scheduled to work home plate, but the assignments were rotated before the game. Crew chief Tim Welke moved from first base to home plate. … Yankees RHP Ivan Nova was selected AL pitcher of the month for August after going 4-0 with a 2.08 ERA in six starts. Nova (8-4, 2.88 ERA) pitches Thursday night against Red Sox RHP Jake Peavy (11-5, 3.91). … Semien singled in his first career at-bat. Cheap Air Jordan 3 Ireland . The Henry Burris-led squad finished second in the East Division before advancing to the Grey Cup where they ultimately fell to the home field advantage wielding Saskatchewan Roughriders. Air Jordan 3 Ireland Online .ca. The NHL Play of the Year showdown kicks off with some slick moves going head-to-head with a combination of soft hands and endless patience. http://www.cheapairjordan3ireland.com/ .S. womens soccer team to a 2-0 win over China in Colorado in the afternoon. Air Jordan 3 Ireland . But luckily for the Canadian squad, one goal was all it needed. Winnipegs Sophie Schmidt scored the winner off a Diana Matheson corner kick to seal Canadas third-place spot in the Torneio Internacional de Futebol Feminino in Brazil on Sunday. Cheap Jordans Ireland . - Chicago Bears general manager Phil Emery was so busy in free agency he didnt mind having a few extra weeks to prepare for the draft.John Gibbons and a curious bear.Jose Reyes and a ferocious lynx. Adam Lind with a wolf and an eagle.Theese should all be mounted on a cabin wall.dddddddddddd So majestic. (h/t @MacInTheB0x) Cheap Jerseys China NFL Jerseys China NFL Jerseys Wholesale Discount Basketball Jerseys Cheap NHL Jerseys Authentic Cheap Baseball Jerseys Free Shipping Cheapest College Jerseys Sale Cheap Football Jerseys China Nike NFL Jerseys Canada Wholesale NHL Jerseys From China MLB Jerseys Outlet Canada Wholesale NBA Jerseys Canada Store Cheap Soccer Jerseys China Cheap Authentic Jerseys Canada ' ' '
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 member have just viewed this.
Control functions:

Contract Quick reply