Skip navigation

FishingMobile

best at the back end of the rotation

Add topic

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Florida - The best Blue Jays pitcher of his generation, arguably the best ever pitcher in Blue Jays history, is walking away from the game. Fittingly, Roy Halladay will do so in a Toronto uniform, signing a one-day contract to retire with the franchise that drafted and developed him. "I was very lucky to have a lot of people in that organization really develop and help me become the player that I was able to become," said Halladay. "Without the organization and support of the people in the organization from the front office to the coaches to the players, it really turned my career around and made a difference in my career. So thats why Im very fortunate to retire as a Blue Jay." During his career Halladay, 36, was regarded as one of the hardest workers in the game. His preparation between starts, which featured a strictly regimented workout program, became the stuff of legend and so theres a cruel irony to Halladay being forced from the sport, just two years from his last dominant season and still so far from his 40th birthday. Halladay won 19 games for the Phillies in 2011 but was limited to 38 starts over the past two seasons, owing to a deteriorating back condition which forced him to change the mechanics of his delivery that led to shoulder trouble. The decline seemed to happen so fast. "It was probably more steady than people knew," said Halladay. "There were times in the season before where later in the games it would be a challenge. You know, as you get older, thats how things go. Youre going to stiffen up. Youre going to get tight. I thought it was just due to age. But I know things were starting to change a little bit. I think the frustrating part was in the past I found a way through working out, through research, through talking to trainers, to overcome those things." From the beginning, Halladay seemed destined for stardom. Selected with the 17th overall pick in the 1995 draft, Halladay won 15 games for Single-A Dunedin in 1996, posting a 2.73 ERA and 1.239 WHIP. He stalled somewhat in 1997, bouncing Double-A Knoxville and Triple-A Syracuse and while his numbers didnt jump off the page in 1998, Halladay earned a late-season call up. In just his second start, on the final day of the 1998 season, Halladay took a no-hitter into the ninth inning. After retiring Gabe Kapler and Paul Bako, pinch-hitter Bobby Higginson was all that stood between Halladay and a piece of history. Higginson hit a solo home run, over the left field wall. There would be bumps in the road. Significant bumps. After working a dual starter-reliever role in 1999, Halladay was torched by American League hitters in 2000. He posted a 10.64 ERA over 19 appearances, 13 starts, and the control for which he would eventually become famous was non-existent (he walked 5.6 batters per nine innings.) It was back to the minors where, under the tutelage of late pitching guru Mel Queen, Halladay lowered his arm angle and developed the cut fastball which would induce ground balls for years to come. What would follow after his return to the major league level was sheer brilliance. Halladays 148 wins in a Blue Jays uniform puts him second to Dave Stieb (170). He is one of only two starting pitchers in franchise history to win 20 games more than once, accomplishing the feat in 2003 (22) and 2008 (20). Roger Clemens was the other. Never tiring of the organization or the city but with a desire for playoff competition, Halladay discussed the possibility of a trade with then-general manager J.P. Ricciardi after the 2008 season. By the All-Star Break in 2009 it was no secret Halladay wouldnt re-sign with the Jays upon the expiry of his contract and it was left up to newly-minted general manager Alex Anthopoulos to make a deal. The Phillies, coming off back to back World Series appearances, were willing to oblige. He pitched a perfect game, for the Phillies in Florida on May 29, 2010 and followed it up with a no-hitter in the playoffs later the same season. Halladays 1.198 WHIP over 2,046.2 innings in Toronto is second-best amongst franchise starting pitchers (Jimmy Key, 1.196 WHIP in 1,695.2 innings.) In all or parts of 12 seasons with the Blue Jays, he was worth 48.5 wins above replacement (WAR). He won Cy Young Awards with the Jays in 2003 and the Phillies in 2010. Halladay finished top-5 in Cy Young voting on seven occasions. For their part, the Blue Jays are interested in exploring ways to keep Halladay in the organization. Hell be invited to spring training where hed be a natural fit to pass on wisdom to the clubs younger pitchers. General manager Alex Anthopoulos likened Halladays situation to that of Pat Hentgens, who tried his hand in different areas before assuming the role of bullpen coach, a job hes holding for the second time. Known for his intensity, Halladay transitions into a quieter life out of the spotlight. Hes ready for it. "Its actually a very peaceful feeling." STARTING ROTATION R.A. Dickey and Mark Buehrle seem to be the only "sure things" in the Blue Jays 2014 starting rotation. General manager Alex Anthopoulos, as far back as July, identified the rotation as a sore spot which required remedy. He hasnt been able to acquire outside help – at least not yet – and doesnt expect to before the winter meetings conclude on Thursday morning. "I think if its a signing it would be more of a January thing unless the prices change and they come down," said Anthopoulos. "Right now I would say trade. I would say the focus, while Im here, is that absolutely talking to clubs about trades rather than having meetings with agents and things like that. Im really trying to take advantage of having all the GMs here to continue to have dialogue." Brandon Morrow, who was lost for the season at the end of May with an entrapped nerve in his pitching forearm, is being counted on to not only return to health but to contribute innings and wins next season. "Based on the offseason so far, hes thrown two bullpens, thrown a (simulated) game, looks great," said Anthopoulos. "Thats a big add to our rotation." But can you count on him to make 30 or more starts? "We got 180 innings out of him in 2011 and then in 12, before the rib cage, he was on his way to what looked like an all-star season for us," said Anthopoulos. "I think the one place were in a much better position this year compared to last is our depth in starters six through 10." If the Blue Jays get their way, both Drew Hutchison and Kyle Drabek will begin the season with Triple-A Buffalo. Both are back to full health after undergoing Tommy John elbow surgeries in 2012. Youngsters Marcus Stroman, Sean Nolin and, perhaps later in the season, Aaron Sanchez could be afforded opportunities. Swingman Esmil Rogers and journeyman Todd Redmond impressed at times last year. J.A. Happ slots in best at the back end of the rotation. SECOND BASE Barring a surprise signing or a trade to acquire a second baseman, the Blue Jays will go into spring training with Ryan Goins and Maicer Izturis as their two options at the position. Asked to handicap the race for the job, manager John Gibbons gave the vote of confidence to Goins. "We really like Goins," said Gibbons. "We like what he did in September. He gave us a shot in the arm. I thought he handled the ball well enough to be top dog going in there." Izturis struggled early in his first season in Toronto. With Brett Lawrie and Jose Reyes injured for significant portions of the first half, Izturis bounced around the diamond and appeared to struggle with the adjustment to playing on turf. Later, he settled in before an August ankle injury ended his season, but Gibbons envisions Izturis returning to the role he had with the Angels. "Izturis will be a utility guy; I think thats his strength," said Gibbons. "Today thats the way we look at it. Alex could go out and make a trade for somebody to bring a second baseman in. I dont know if thats going to happen. But if not, I really like what Goins did." EVENING DOINGS On Monday evening, Jon Morosi and Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports reported the Blue Jays agreed to a three-team trade, two weeks ago, which would have resulted in reliever Sergio Santos landing with the Texas Rangers. According to the report, the deal fell through when one of the players involved failed his physical. There were no other details. Tyrell Williams Jersey . People familiar with the case told The Associated Press on Friday that arbitrator Fredric Horowitz could issue his decision this weekend. Desmond King Jersey .Bacca took advantage of Cristian Alvarezs hesitation to head a lobbed pass over the goalkeeper and then used his feet to roll the ball into an empty net in the eighth minute. The Colombia strikers 10th goal pulled him level with Lionel Messi as the leagues third-leading scorers, far behind Cristiano Ronaldos runaway tally of 23 goals. Authentic Michael Badgley Womens Jersey Sale - Cheap big & tall Los Angeles Chargers Youth Jerseys. Instead, Nonis and Kessel were sorting through the fallout of a wild melee with the Buffalo Sabres, one that saw Kessel suspended for the duration of the pre-season. Los Angeles Chargers Jerseys .Two San Francisco radio stations say they wont play the song during the duration of the World Series. A Kansas City, Missouri, station responded with plans to play the Grammy-winning track every hour from 7 a. Michael Schofield Jersey . "Rob brings a wealth of coaching experience, having worked both in Canada and overseas in player development," Canada Soccer technical director Tony Fonseca said in a release.OTTAWA – Johan Franzen has no explanation for his success in Ottawa, but cant deny he definitely enjoys playing in the nations capital. The Detroit Red Wings winger was at his best once again scoring three goals in a 6-1 win over the Ottawa Senators Thursday night. Franzen, who returned to the Red Wings lineup Wednesday after playing just one of the past 24 games due to a concussion, has previously enjoyed success against the Senators. In February 2011, Franzen scored five goals against the Senators. "I like playing here," said Franzen. "We have Erik Karlsson on the other side and we grew up in the same little town so its always fun to play him. Its something special every time. Im just happy to keep him from the scoreboard. Its always fun to play him." Detroit coach Mike Babcock is pleased to see Franzen having success. "Hes an important player for us," said Babcock. "He has the ability, he has the touch. Lots of guys play real hard and cant score (Franzen) can score." It appears he also has the ability to get under his opponents skin. Ottawas Chris Neil went after Franzen late in the game and while nothing came of it Franzen was less than impressed. "He tried to hit me and he couldnt move me so I think he got a little upset," said Franzen. "I have no clue. He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. He puts his cape on and goes and flies out there. I dont know." Riley Sheahan, Tomas Jurco and Tomas Tatar also scored for Detroit. Jonas Gustavsson stopped 37 shots. With the win the Red Wings (28-20-12) have a five-point lead over the Senators (26-23-11) for the final wild card spot in the Eastern Conference standings. "Coming back from the break and you start 2-0 its way better than the opposite way," said Babcock. "We know were in a battle for our playoff life. We understand that so getting off to a good start is imperative." The Senators had little explanation for their performance. "Its an extremely disappointing loss," said Ottawa captain Jason Spezza. "We knew that it was a very important game for us and to lose it by that score is obviously not what we were looking for." Bobby Ryan scored the lone goal for the Senators, who were playing their first game since the Olympic break. Robin Lehner allowed six goals on 15 shots before Andrew Hammond made his NHL debut, stopping all nine shots he faced. Things fell apart for the Senators in a nine-minute span in the first period. Ryan had a goal called back after it was ruled that he kicked it in and then the Senators leading goal scorer missed two great chances on the power play. Things began to unravel after the Red Wings scored on consecutive shots. Ottawaas Cody Ceci gave the puck up deep in the Senators end as he made a no-look behind-the-back pass that landed right on the stick of Sheahan who ripped a shot past Lehner.dddddddddddd Just 29 seconds later Franzen scored his first as he was left all alone to give Detroit a 2-0 lead. Franzen then made it 3-0 with a power-play goal as once again he was left alone, this time on the opposite side of the ice. Following the game Lehner could not hide his disappointment. "They got a few goals pretty fast and then it snowballed," said Lehner. "I think weve all got to do better in our zone and Ive got to do better. It was one of the most toughest games Ive played personally, but its over now. Theres not much to say." Detroit made it 4-0 on a delayed penalty call with two minutes remaining in the period. Niklas Kronwall, who finished with three assists, had a shot from just inside the blue-line deflected and ended up on Jurcos stick, who roofed it over Lehner. The 18,931 on hand at Canadian Tire Centre were so disappointed they booed the home team off the ice. Senators coach Paul MacLean had few words to explain his teams performance. "We played a lot better than the score maybe indicated, but the score is what it is and you cant change that," said MacLean. When asked who was the best player MacLean couldnt help but say "Johan Franzen I think. I think were all tied for the worst." Franzen completed his hat trick early in the second period. Ryan finally got the Senators on board at the four-minute mark of the second, but any celebration was short-lived as Detroit made it 6-1 as Tatar beat Lehner from in close. That marked the end of Lehners appearance, opening the door for Hammond to make his first NHL appearance. Craig Anderson was unavailable due to the birth of his second child. Despite the surprise appearance Hammond held his own and made a number of big saves. "Not letting anything in was a good start," said Hammond. "Any kid from Canada growing up playing hockey its their dream to play in the NHL and its pretty special for me to be one of those guys thats lucky enough now to say Ive played in the NHL. Its very special." This was the fourth and final meeting between the teams as they split the season series. Notes: D Patrick Wiercioch, D Joe Corvo and LW Matt Kassian were a healthy scratch for the Senatorsa RW Patrick Eaves, RW Todd Bertuzzi and RW Daniel Cleary were a healthy scratch for the Red Wingsa A number of Canadian Olympians were recognized prior to the game including Detroit head coach Mike Babcock and General Manager Ken Holland. Thursdays game marked Daniel Alfredssons second appearance at Canadian Tire Centre since signing with the Red Wings last summer. China NFL Jerseys Cheap Nike NFL Jerseys NFL Jerseys Cheap Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap Basketball Jerseys Online Stitched Hockey Jerseys Wholesale Baseball Jerseys Football Jerseys Outlet College Jerseys For Sale Cheap MLB Jerseys Wholesale Soccer Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys For Sale Wholesale NFL Jerseys ' ' '
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 member have just viewed this.
Control functions:

Contract Quick reply